DragonFly BSD
DragonFly docs List (threaded) for 2005-05

Re: design and implementation ?

From: justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 09:17:12 -0400 (EDT)

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to get an understanding of the inner architecture of
> DragonFlyBSD (i'm a kernel newbie, sort of).
> Is reading "Design and Implementation of FreeBSD system" worth it,
> considering it is based on FBSD 5, and DFly derives from v 4 ?
> Or should I go with the previous "Design and Implementation of 4.4" ?
>
> Problem is to make relationships between classical, former orientations
> and actual implementation of DFLy...
> (Reading the source code without orientation seems daunting...)
>
> Or any other pointers ?

Even FreeBSD-4 had diverged some from 4.4BSD, which the earlier edition of
the book is based on, so there will be some changes.

You may want to check at your local library system or university libraries
- there may be an edition of the "Design and Implementation..." book
there, and browsing it that way may answer your question for you.  It'll
certainly be cheaper!

You could always jump in the deep end, so to speak, and dive into the
DragonFly code, and see what you can puzzle out from the comments and code
there.  That's a hard road, though.