DragonFly BSD
DragonFly docs List (threaded) for 2005-06

Re: handbook: cvs or wiki?

To: justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 20:13:35 +0200

justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

There hasn't been much added to it, and there's currently no way to bring
changes back into cvs.  Rather than having it sit for an extended period
and slowly diverge, it's probably better to ditch it now and recreate when
we have a clear path between the two.

Ok, there's some wisdom in your words. :)

If nobody objects, I'll ditch (read: delete) the Wiki version of the handbook next Sunday. It would be nice if the changes that were made to it could be added to the docbook version so that nothing is lost. Not sure how much was contributed to which pages.

I'm also not sure anymore if a Wiki is such a good idea at all for making handbook contributions easier (at least if it isn't a docbook Wiki) given the difficulties to get stuff back into the CVS version. Maybe we should pursue other ideas. Then again, isn't there at least an easy to use WYSIWYG editor that outputs docbook and which could be recommended for making handbook contributions?

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx