DragonFly docs List (threaded) for 2008-05
DragonFly BSD
DragonFly docs List (threaded) for 2008-05

Re: Custom kernel

From: Walter <walter@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 18:06:40 -0500

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    bunzip2 and tar should both be present on the CD and on the hard disk
    if you installed DragonFly.

    That source code is as-of the particular ISO image, so it won't be
    the latest.  It's also just the kernel source, not the whole base
    system.

    If you have network connectivity there is a Makefile in /usr that give
    you numerous targets to fetch the DragonFly CVS repository.  e.g.:

    # get the CVS repository
    cd /usr
    make cvs-cvsup

    # update /usr/src from the repository
    cd /usr
    make head-src-cvsup

-Matt
Matthew Dillon <dillon@backplane.com>

Thanks. I extracted the file on the target disk, and made a custom kernel config file.

But running "make buildkernel KERNCONF=<mycustomconfig>"
generated the error "You must buildworld before buildkernel"
with some addition instructions on making a manual config.
When I tried to "make buildworld" it likewise generated an
error.

I'm trying to build a small kernel for a 486/16MB machine.
I'd be happy to run a 'manual' build for the 486 kernel if
I knew how.

I ran "make cvs-cvsup" to see if that pulls in the "world"
source.  Now, it blows out with error "2" when I try to do
buildworld or buildkernel saying there are no system rules
(sys.mk).

Walter