DragonFly BSD
DragonFly docs List (threaded) for 2011-08

Re: Added HowTo for Software RAID

From: Chris Turner <c.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 14:26:09 -0500

On 08/04/11 15:14, Mark Doe wrote:
maybe the official documentation is incomplete. I can confirm that creating
a RAID5 worked for me. In the source code it's not disabled (i dont know
C/C++, so please correct me) from what I could see.

apologies for not being clear here -

if you look for 'XOR' in the code it basically shows that the degraded mode
operation portion for raid5 is just a placeholder:

            if (rdp->status & AR_S_DEGRADED) {
                /* do the XOR game if possible */
            }

and is not yet implemented

(etc)

so while it might work for normal mode - it doesn't buy you much in the
event of a drive failure

definetely, I am going to complete the guide on the week-end with rebuilding
the array, etc as you suggested.

nice! look forward to it.