Re: Guidelines for tasks?

From: Kip Macy <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:02:29 -0700
Cc: dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

merv wrote:
Kip Macy wrote:

I was wondering if you had thought about creating a more fine-grained
set of tasks for working towards your design goals so that individuals
can contribute smaller pieces. Or does it make more sense right now to restrict work to those who really understand what you have in mind?

-Kip

I agree with Kip in this sense: a "task-tree", some library of existing open tasks that indicates how they are linked with other tasks (that are also in some state of pending/open/complete stage), would enable people to contribute in smaller chunks by taking on tasks, completing them and then dipping in again in some other area. The ability to see how all the tasks relate to one another at any time may encourage those of us who really want to be a part of this exciting project to get involved but who are time-limited in terms of how much they can take on at one time or another. Perhaps some visual/diagramatic representation (on the dragonfly site, perhaps) of such a tree (consisting of data drawn from a development database populated by individuals as they work on separate tasks) would work? Just a thought :) Anyone think of lightweight examples of such a thing rather than having to build one from scratch?

I'm glad that I'm not completely out in left field on this one. I'm CC'ing Matt this time in case he missed the message by accident.