Re: Annoucning DragonFly BSD!

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:01:59 -0700 (PDT)

:How does this relate to schemes (to which I've become increasingly fond
:of, the more I think about it) where packages install entirely in
:self-contained filesystems?  i.e., such that /usr/packages/bin becomes a
:sort of stack of dozens or hundreds of packagefs's, and removing a
:package becomes as easy as deleting /usr/packages/backing/pkg-2.3 (the
:moral equivalent of a vn(4) backing file)?
:
:I'm not quite clear from reading the docs whether this is actually what
:you mean, or a complementary scheme, or what.
:
:--
:Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    I don't consider such schemes as solving the correct problem.  The
    *real* problem with multiple package installation are all the third
    party libraries packages depend on.  I do not want to duplicate 30
    third party libraries 30 times for 30 interdependant packages, so
    there needs to be a way to share compatible third party libraries.

    The way I want to do that is by explicit versioning which is entirely
    OUTSIDE the package's control, which I would accomplish by creating
    an environmental overlay for the package which makes the exact
    versions of the libraries it is supposed to be using available to it
    and hides everything else from it.