Re: IRC perhaps?

From: Bill Huey (Hui) <billh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 10:09:25 -0700

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 04:44:35PM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> I'd also note that I'm not entirely convinced that a chat system
> is the best medium for serious-thought development.  It's great
> for *chatting*, such as "Hey, which include library has XXX?",
> but it works best for lots of short messages.  It does not work
> as well for exchanging long technical comparisons of a variety
> of development options.

Depending on the people and how it's run, it can create a destructive
least-common denominator problem and can be used as leverage for
personal attacks and other culturally destructive behaviors in a
group. You want folks to have clear communication that's publically
archived for technical reference and set a professional context
that's inclusive both personally and technically from the very
beginning. That way you can better organize and utilize people's
time and intelligence. Things can go very wrong with that medium
without that above understanding especially with a small developer
core and is a chronic development problem for the open source BSDs in
general it seems.

That's all I have to say on the subject.

bill