Re: dynamic /bin /sbin

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:22:42 -0400

At 9:28 AM +0200 7/25/03, Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
I am still trying to see the benefit over a static bin
and sbin.  I mean, come on, /bin is only 4 MB and /sbin
only 12 MB.

So give me some good reasons not to stay static?

I believe that freebsd-current is going to dynamic versions mainly so some dynamically-loaded options (such as pam) could be made to work correctly.

It has added /rescue (similar to NetBSD's), which has a few
key programs that would be useful in a disk-disaster situation.
We're still in the middle of arguing over just how minimal that
collection should be.  On my 5.x-current system, that /rescue
is 3.7 meg.  On the same system, /bin and /sbin are still
statically-linked.  At the moment, the statically-linked /bin
is 8 meg and /sbin is 26 meg.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad@xxxxxxxxxxx