Re: Buffer overflow?

From: Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 07:39:19 +0100

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:

-On [20030801 08:02], Richard Coleman (richardcoleman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

Have you given any thought to pulling in the changes that OpenBSD made to harden against buffer overflows (i.e. canary checking)? They've added some pretty serious mechanisms to make it harder to exploit buffer overflows (and made it turned on by default).

IIRC Hiten is busy working on getting the OpenBSD non-exec stack code
working on DragonFly.

I have sussed out the signal trampoline code and how it was changed for IRIX binary emulation in other (NeT|Open) BSDs. I am gonna be off to holiday from next week or so; once I get back, I will resume my efforts on the non-exec stack for DFly.

	FWIW, I have also had my eye on the binary checksumming code
	that was put in Open/NetBSD.

Cheers.

--
Hiten Pandya