Re: Preliminary restructuring layout (was Re: sys/ tree re-structuring proposal)

To: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Elischer <julian@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 12:31:02 -0700

Matthew Dillon wrote:

    Also note that architecture-specific drivers will be in subdirectories
    under dev/<function>, the idea being that there isn't a whole lot of it
    and it's better to keep things grouped by function so all of our ethernet
    drivers (for example) are in dev/netif.

    modules/ will be removed entirely and its Makefile's will be integrated
    into the appropriate drivers.  Having a separate modules/ directory
    hierarchy was a terrible idea and we are well rid of it.

./boot (unchanged)

I prefer -current's [arch]/compile

./contrib		(TBD)

./dev/raid			Raid controllers

I think raid adapters SHOULD be under 'disk'
dev/disk/raid woudl be fine, except note that (for example) teh mly driver exports its virtual disks via the CAM system.. so maybe it should be inder dev/scsi

./dev/disk			Normal disk controllers (incls scsi)

I think scsi adapters should not be under disk.. maybe dev/scsi, but maybe as a bus as they are logically similar to USB etc.

./dev/netif Network Interfaces

I'd even break them further.. dev/net/ethernet dev/net/wireless dev/net/WAN dev/net/ATM

maybe even reverse it to

./dev/atm ATM devices

./emulation			Syscall/environment emulation (for now)

how does isdn come under emulation?

net/proto/isdn/14b maybe

./netproto			Network protocols (move ip and tcp here?)
./arch				Architectures (TBD)

net/proto/inet net/proto/inet6