Re: Register keyword removal

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:27:55 -0400

At 11:25 PM -0400 8/7/03, Diane Bruce wrote:
On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 06:07:29PM +0000, Sander Vesik wrote:
Robert Garrett <rg70@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > > Register keyword removal, is now complete. I will deal with
 > > the remaining RCng issues tommorrow.
 >
 > why do that? its basicly harmless and just creates unneeded
 > diff churn?

  register key word can actually force a compiler to generate
worse code on a modern decent compiler. Its archaic practice.

It should probably be noted that the FreeBSD project is also "inclined" to remove 'register' keywords. We just haven't made it a specific project to remove them all in one fell swoop like dfly just did. So, while this drive to remove all 'register' keywords means some extra differences between dfly and freebsd at the moment, there is every reason to believe FreeBSD will also be deleting all of them. It's just that it is happening at a much slower pace in FreeBSD.

So, this isn't "unneeded diff churn", but it is something that
is much easier to do right now in dragonfly (before dfly has
hundreds of developer working on it).  Might as well get this
done while it's very easy to do.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad@xxxxxxxxxxx