Re: making the COMPAT_43 option optional

From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:00:52 +0200

-On [20030811 10:52], David P. Reese Jr. (daver@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>I've managed to build some simple kernels without the COMPAT_43 option
>with the help of some strategically placed #if defined()'s.  I'm curious
>if we even need this option any more.

Cool, you just tackled one of the things I had on my personal todo list.
(*grin*, saves me work)

>By the end of the week I hope to have LINT building without COMPAT_43
>and after that I'll try to tackle world.  I'm out of town until the middle
>of the week so I won't be able to participate in the should-we-do-it
>discussion, but I'd like to hear some kind of consensus by then.

I wonder, is the impact more on the API side or on the use in real life
side?

>This is the kind of support that we plan on buliding into the userland
>emulation layer, right?

I think that's the ultimate goal yes.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(at)wxs.nl> / asmodai
PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B