Re: Usernames > 16 characters

From: Oliver Fromme <olli@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:33:38 +0200

Matthew Dillon wrote: > That said, it is obvious that 8 was too small and so it was bumped up > to 16. The question is would it be reasonable to bump it up to, say, > 32? I can't imagine making it larger then 32 but I can see some valid > arguments to going from 16 to 32 and perhaps bumping up the hostname > field in utmp.h at the same time.

While you're at it, I could also use a larger MNAMELEN.

It's pretty annoying that (Free)BSD has that 80 characters limit,
while Solaris and Linux don't.  It made me look pretty dumb when
I wasn't able to mount stuff from a filer in a heterogenous farm
of servers.  The names of the NFS mounts were just too long for
the BSD machines.  (I finally managed to work around it, but it
was annoying nonetheless.)