Re: Usernames > 16 characters

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:05:41 -0700 (PDT)

:>     forth).
:>
:>     That said, it is obvious that 8 was too small and so it was bumped up
:>     to 16.  The question is would it be reasonable to bump it up to, say,
:>     32?  I can't imagine making it larger then 32 but I can see some valid
:>     arguments to going from 16 to 32 and perhaps bumping up the hostname
:>     field in utmp.h at the same time.
:
:the Whistle interjet (FreeBSD 2.x, 3.x and 4.x)
:used 32 byte usernames so that they could be the same as Windows and MacOS.
:(I forget the limits they had but 16 was too small)
:We only used a small subset of UNIX bet we had no problems in th parts we used..

    This is a great reason for using 32, then.  All right, in addition to
    the mount path restriction fixes I will up the username limit to 32.