Re: new sysinstall

To: Robert Garrett <rg70@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Richard Coleman <richardcoleman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:12:59 -0400

Robert Garrett wrote:
to replay an install, you could just replay the xml data, sent to the packages back. fully customized install scripts would be very easy to create. Packages could be built for ports that integrate fully with the cm utility. so for once and for all managing a huge number of
opensource boxes wouldn't be a complete nightmare.

I like the idea of using xml data to replay the build. You still need an infrastructure like Jumpstart (Sun) or Kickstart (Redhat) in which to do the initial build (from cd or remote install machine) as well as handle the "replay" of the data. But using xml to structure the post-install configuration could simplify the creation of the post-install scripts.

Unfortunately, the FreeBSD ports system is too unstructured and gets in the way of doing this right. Too many options for building ports are buried in the make options (i.e. make WITH_GTK2=yes, etc). You often have to dig in the Makefile to find them since they are never described in the pkg-descr file (pet peeve of mine). Although I primarily use BSD systems, I'm very envious of the package systems of most Linux distibutions.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx