scripting languages (somewhen was: RE: new sysinstall)

From: ibotty <me@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:04:09 +0200

as we all have a different taste on scripting languages, but the most
mentioned were
- perl
- python
- ruby
and tcl, we might think about integrating parrot/perl6 [1].

as some of you may know (some better than me ;), parrot started as a
project, to unite python and perl bytecode, to make use of each others
libraries easily and other reasons.
a ruby frontend is also being developed on currently.

we might be able to just include the bytecode interpreter, not the various
frontends for perl, ruby and python.

this interpreter should be small.
to regenerate the bytecode, you will surely need a full installation, but
this will not be neccesarry for the avarage user.

additionaly, each developer will have his favourite language.

surely tcl is missing now, but it should not be too difficult, because a tcl
on ruby port exists/existed.

parrot may not be a good alternative now, because it is not yet finished,
but it may be the way to go... just my 2¢, though.

[1] http://www.parrotcode.org

~ibotty