Re: new sysinstall

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:17:48 -0700 (PDT)

:Is that truer for Python than PHP4? Most of Python's library
:dependencies are for its own libraries - the core language hardly needs
:anything. And PHP builds in a pile of weird shit, too.
:
:>     * They have a big CD footprint.
:>
:>     * There are issues with having multiple versions installed... a
:>       'system' version installed by the CD which is often older then
:>       the current release version that you might need in production.
:
:Why is this not so for PHP?
:
:Cheers,
:
:Ben.

    There are always issues, but I believe it is possible to collapse the
    PHP app into a single static binary which is run as a CGI (not
    dynamically loaded as a module by apache).  I certainly would like
    to avoid having any DLL dependancies.  PHP4 depends on libcrypt,
    libexpat, libmysqlclient (which can be removed), libz, libm, and libc.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>