Re: Relocation (Re: Package system)

From: ibotty <me@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 22:42:34 +0200

> Changed ld.so is IMHO not a major concern - the other alternative to per
> user ld.so.cache is operation without it. How badly is a ld.so.cache
> needed these days anyways? You could also support customised search paths
> and priorities.

this is currently done in the gnustep initializing scripts.
they set $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

but $LD_LIBRARY_PATH defeats prelinking (prelinking makes no sense when
different libraries are possibly used).
and ld.so.cache is faster. on linux 2.3 when i altered ld.so, i got 25%
better startup time than without, with only kde1.2 (few libs) linked to
this "hello world" binary.

this may be less now, as hardware is cheap, but you get the idea.

btw: is someone interested in prelinking? on freebsd5, there is an effort to
prelink. but i do not know, how far this is.
if there is interest, i may dedicate some of my spare time to it (in one
month, more or less).

~ibotty