Re: Package system

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 09:05:04 +0200

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 01:50:24PM -0400, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
> A minor thought: would it be worthwhile to coordinate with one of the other
> packaging systems out there?  "Piggybacking" onto another system, if it can
> be modified to fit the DragonFly environment, may be useful.
>
> I am thinking solely in terms of volume.  A package/ports collection is
> useful in direct proportion to the number of people adding to it.

I thought about that aspect, too. Capturing FreeBSD's ports collection
would be nice, but the direct installation into the filesystem makes
the system IMHO somewhat flawed. OpenBSD's bsd.port.mk could be
another good starting point for a build system. That needs a careful
port of the "old" FreeBSD" ports to the OpenBSD style.

Just using FreeBSD ports forever won't work, we will need local patches
at least for system near applications.

Joerg