Re: Ridiculous idea: Cache as ramdisk?

From: Chris Pressey <cpressey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 09:29:06 -0700

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:07:40 -0700
Kip Macy <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I guess what I'm wondering is, does anyone here know of a
> > journalling file system out there that *isn't* just for speeding up
> > data recovery?
> >

> The only thing I know of that comes close to what it sounds like you
> are looking for is elephant. Google either elephant or Doug Santry.
>
> It isn't journalling, but it keeps track of an arbitrary number of
> changes to a file.

Thanks for the info.  Weird coincidences - it seems Doug Santry wrote
that paper while at UBC - which is the university I'm currently
physically closest to - and it was co-authoured by Norman Hutchinson -
who also worked on Emerald - which was just a day or two ago mentioned
on the Erlang mailing list - and Emerald had as one of its primary
features, migration of objects (/processes) from processor to processor
- which is also one of the things I understand Matt has been planning
for DragonFlyBSD...

"It's a rich tapestry."  :)

-Chris