Re: SLAB allocator now the default.

From: Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:22:22 +0100

Matthew Dillon wrote:

    The slab allocator is now the default.  The NO_KMEM_MAP and
    USE_SLAB_ALLOCATOR options have been removed.

    USE_KMEM_MAP and NO_SLAB_ALLOCATOR options have temporarily been added,
    but these too will be removed (along with the old malloc and kmem_map
    code) in about a week.

Matt,

	I haven't looked at the Slab-alloc code recently, but I am
	wondering if you are planning to remove the power-of-2 alignment
	stuff out of malloc()?

	From the many papers I have been reading in the last couple of
	weeks, it seems that power-of-2 alignment seems to cause a lot
	of performance degradation in SMP cases, and cache issues.

A good example of this demonstration is in Bonwick's papers.

	I understand this would be quite a lengthy and tedious procedure
	but it is something that I have been wondering.

Regards,

--
Hiten Pandya
hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx