Re: Anybody working on removing sendmail from base?

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 10:06:58 -0700 (PDT)

:sure - if you can do process subtree specific stacking / mounting this
:is simple.
:>     Now, if you can picture all of that, go back to the idea of a VFS
:>     'process' running in userland, but then consider that all such a process
:>     really has to do is manage entries in the namecache and would only be
:>     messaged when the kernel can't find the request in the cache.  We still
:>     wind up with almost 100% the performance that we would have with the
:>     underlying native filesystem.
:Wouldn't it be more efficent for a selection of such cases if you just
:adopted variant symlinks? You would then have
:	/usr/bin/gcc -> /usr/compilers/${gcc_ver}/bin/gcc
:and where it points to would depend directly on environment.

    For certain things... the compiler selection is an excellent example
    of this.    Variant symlinks is something we probably should implement.