Re: some messaging questions

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:53:36 -0700 (PDT)

:Hi all,
:
:I'm wondering if I my understanding of messages is correct right now
:(and I missed the slashnet irc interview date - hmpf), so here goes:
:
:Is there going to be a way to use messages similar to the way signals
:(especially the posix realtime ones) are used? The design docs at
:dfbsd.org speak of asynchronous handling of signals, so I wonder if
:this means that the receiving process needs not wait for the message
:and can have a kind of message handler receive the it.
:
:In particular, I'm looking for a way to tell a running (child)
:process/thread that the time for garbage collection has arrived. Perhaps
:DFBSD's message semantics could help with that.
:
:Thanks,
:--
:Andreas Fuchs, <asf@xxxxxxx>, asf@xxxxxxxxx, antifuchs

    Theoretically the target port is responsible for handling threads
    waiting on the port, or for signaling potential waiters, and so forth.
    That part of the messaging code has not been fleshed out yet, at least
    in regards to userland ports.  What we will likely end up doing is
    have a type field in the port structure that tells the kernel how to
    deal with it.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>