RE: packaging system (was: Re: GCC 3.3.2 kernel)

From: "Lewis, Todd" <todd.lewis@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:16:07 -0500

Dpkg does this with virtual packages.  To use a completely un-fact-checked
example, you depend on "vi", a package that doesn't exist.  Vim, elvis,
etc., all have "Provides: vi" in their specification.  When automatically
filling the dependency, one of these alternatives is picked per the default
policy, or per the user's choice if desired.

This last piece is an apt feature, but those who argue that apt is some pure
essence of platform-independent goodness while dpkg is an abomination of
debian-spcificitude are, to put it politely, stretching their case.
Apt/dpkg/debhelper/dselect are designed and maintained coherently.