Re: Anyone notice this?

From: James Frazer <jfrazer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:21:12 -0600

My build of DFBSD from around wednesday of last week didn't have working sound either. I just got static (sb-128), however I blamed this on myself and moved onto something else.

A build from a few days ago broke opera on me. I have not yet figured out what broke it as I've been too busy. Hopefully someone has some words of wisdom for us.

--James

Emiel Kollof wrote:
Hi gang,

Last weekend, I was updating my home workstation with somewhat more
recent sources of DFBSD (as of last week or so), since it was running
an almost month old DFBSD world (just after the checkpt commits and the
scheduler updates).

Suddenly sound stopped working, and also DVD playback didn't work
anymore. As for sound, the machine has an ISA SB AWE32, and I tried both
compiling the thing in the kernel and as modules. Neither worked. Also,
no reports/warnings/errors in the dmesg, and it found the soundcard
allright. Also, the newpcm kld's caused a panic when unloading.

As for the DVD playback, I'm pretty stumped. I can mount DVD discs okay
and look around on them (and even copy the .vob files), but libdvdread somehow can't make heads or tails of it and claims it can't read the disc.
This used to work before.

I reverted the machine to a 4.9-RC1 world I had sources of laying about,
and it's working fine now. I need to be able to play mp3's when I'm
hacking :)

Did anyone of you notice this, and more importantly: did the problems go
away? I can't test and report since I'm still somewhat in the aftermath
of moving house and don't have internet access at home (yet).

My laptop is still running DFBSD fine, but I hardly ever need it to 1)
play DVDs or 2) play music (the office jukebox takes care of that). I'll
try mucking with sound on my laptop (it has a on-board wonky snd-mss
thingy that sometimes work and sometimes only produces static).

Cheers,
Emiel
-- :