SiS 648 support?

From: Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 13:46:21 +0100

Hi again,

Since dfbsd has been forked off of FreeBSD 4.8, I assume that it has
only support for SiS chipsets up to 645. CURRENT however, supports it at
full ATA133 speed.

When trying to install dragonfly onto my new shiney 2.66 Mhz pentium 4
box, whose mobo uses the SiS 648 chipset, it just froze at the ata device
detection stuff (you know, where it should detect the disks attached)
after saying ata0: read timeout.

In case someone is wondering, the specs of my mobo can be found here:
<http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4S8X-X&langs=01>

As far as I can see, all the stuff on it is supported by DragonFly,
except the ATA stuff, which is a real bummer. If it were the on-board
sound or the network that didn't work, well... that's what I can live with.

How much effort is it to support SiS chipsets to the degree that FreeBSD
CURRENT does?

Cheers,
Emiel