Re: Failure to boot and dead processes

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 12:45:36 -0800 (PST)

    Well, this isn't going to be easy.  First thing is to see if
    you can get it to work with FreeBSD-stable.  If you can then there
    is a good chance we can get it to work with DragonFly.

    ACPI is governed by the acpica device.  If you remove the device
    it should disable acpi.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

:Since I've gotten this new laptop, I've had a couple problems.  One is
:no apm showing up, but I can deal with that.  ACPI though, has some
:major issues.  Over 50% of the time, boot will not finish.  Things will
:hang after ad0 and acd0 are found, but when it does finish the next
:message is about an ACPI embedded controller failure to connect.  Is
:there a way I can disable this subsystem to figure out if it is the
:problem?  Next is after heavy disk io, especially cvs and compilation,
:processes will start being stuck in state inode, but taking 0% cpu.  At
:this point they are unkillable and the kernel will lose buffers when
:trying to shutdown.  Is this related to the ata controller?  Should
:atang help this, and if so is there a testable patch?  Third, rebooting
:does not work.  I get the rebooting prompt, but it won't go anywhere.  I
:tried taking out the DISABLE_BAD_KEYBOARD define or something like that
:in cpu_restart_real (I think thats the function) but it does not print
:the debug printfs or help.  I have to hold the power button for 4
:seconds to get a real reboot.  The final problem is with power
:management.  Since apm does not work and acpi has no device, there is no
:way to suspend or hibernate or whatever, and any sleep event (power
:button, lid close) will just hang the laptop.  If there is a way to
:disable acpi subsystems, should I try lid, or event?  I want to try
:importing acpica 20031203 and adding back /dev/acpi to see if that
:helps, but does anybody have any hints on the other problems?  I flashed
:my radeon bios since thats the only warning X was giving before
:segfaulting, but I dont think that will help, so I'm rebuilding
:everything after pkg_delete -rf "XFree86*" and rm -rf /usr/X11R6. Thanks
:for the help.  Any info will be given thats needed.  Heres the laptop
:specs.
:
:HP Pavilion zt3020us
:Intel Centrino