Re: configuration files

To: James Frazer <jfrazer@xxxxxxxx>
From: Richard Coleman <Richard.Coleman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:37:43 -0500

Just because the Windows implementation of the registry sucks, doesn't mean it's not a good idea. I think Microsoft has killed many people's appetite for various good ideas due to bad implementations.

With that said, the idea may still suck. But one data point doesn't convince me one way or the other. I would love to see something else try and do better.

Richard Coleman
Richard.Coleman@xxxxxxxxxx

James Frazer wrote:
Haha, I'm not doing anything. I was just interested in everyone's opinion. I am aware of the parallels between the windows registry & shoving all config stuff into one giant XML file. That was not what I was suggesting. The Windows registry is a dirty mess (however it does have technical merits in some aspects *ducks*).

Max Laier wrote:

<snip>

Speaking of a "config-system", are you thinking about putting all of etc into a larger xml "config database"? That would be awful as it will generate the same problems Windows has with it's registry ... so please don't!