Re: configuration files

From: James Frazer <jfrazer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:25:04 -0600

Well it doesn't really differ.  The only thing it does is:
1. Provide a standard syntax for writing the config file.
2. Allow for validation of the elements, structure, & syntax

So in the end the only broken information the software gets is bad configuration data. You don't have nearly identical config files with different versions 'kind of working'.

Off the top of my head I can't think of a good example for you -- atleast not one that cannot be equally well implimented with 'any' config system (even windows registry). In the end it probably makes little difference.

--James

I don't see how XML differs in that respect from 'normal' configuration files. If the DTD or the Schema changes, there is a very large potential to get screwed too.

Importing settings from other sorces (a different server) is another example where it might be beneficial.

This I don't see as well... Care to give a good example?

Cheers,
Emiel