Re: FreeBSD-5's USB subsystem

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 21:58:22 -0800 (PST)

:Warner Losh told about merging usbd functionality into devd, so usbd
:should disappear during RELENG_5 lifecycle.
:
:Regarding devd, do you consider importing devfs in DFly ?
:
:Regards
:
:Eric Masson

    It's not a high priority, at least not right now.  If we were to do it
    I'd definitely do it a different way... there are two issues:
    (1) character device numbering and (2) dynamic devices.

    Generally speaking I actually like the existing filesystem model for
    most devices.  I really do not like the idea of device rendezvous
    disappearing from the filesystem when a device goes away, for example.
    The only major thing I would change is that I would get rid
    of the major/minor numbering junk and move to a named scheme (something
    that looks more like a softlink).  A 'devd' like process could then
    be responsible for creating and deleting new device links on the fly for
    dynamic devices based on what the kernel tells it to do.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>