Module Compatibility and ACPI

From: Lucas Reddinger <lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 00:06:20 -0700

I tried e-mailing the list before. I was switching hosts, and I believe
the e-mail didn't make it out. If it did, and If did get replies but
never recieved them, then I apoligize.

On the same note, there is still no archive for the lists?

On to the true subject of this e-mail: Laptop Compatibility. I really
hate to bug the list about compatibility and getting DragonFly working,
while the whole team is still in heavy development. However, seeing all
of this great development go into the OS (specifically the laptop
overheating threads) has made my mouth water.

1.) I am running FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE. I don't know why it is called
stable. I frequently panic, with and without ACPI support. ACPI support
is very poor for my laptop. [Dell 2650] First, when enabled, it
generates a dmesg error every second that I am running X. I do not know
what causes this (I am trying to find out), but I did take the error out
of my source for the time being. When my battery level drops to 10%, I
panic. When it finally charges and reaches 100%, it panics. It changes
profiles well, however. Is DragonFly ACPI much different from FreeBSD
4-S? May I submit patches where necessary for review and possibly to be
comitted?

2.) My laptop uses nvidia0: <GeForce2 Go>
Are these commercial modules still compatible, despite your work?

3.) Is there a ports tree? Is there one in progress? Can I help test
ports, do maintainence, or anything else to help further the project?

Thank you in advance,
Lucas Reddinger