Re: ISO Snapshots

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 15:11:52 -0800 (PST)

    I think the bootstrap issues can be addressed as we get nearer to
    our first release (in June or July).

    At the moment I think they need to be set aside, primarily because it
    tends to disrupt other necessary installation/boot management work (e.g.
    from the FreeBSD folks experience trying to constantly fit the kernel
    onto a floppy).

    -

    I intend to finish the IPC code this weekend because there are a lot of
    pieces that other developers are interested in which would benefit greatly
    from an IPC implementation rather then a static implementation.

    The internationalization effort, in particular, would be a great
    candidate for using the new IPC services.  My feeling is that work
    with libiconv, i18n, and locale has not progressed as well as it could
    simply because a lot of developers are uncomfortable with the bloat
    (in libc and so forth) involved.  But if we build just the basic US
    support into libc, for emergencies, and then use IPC and client-side
    caching within libc to transparently support everything else, it would
    allow development of internationalization to occur on several fronts
    simultaniously without having to worry about bloat OR conflicts.  It
    would be possible to select the implementation simply by selecting which
    service to run.