Re: Contrib update policy

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:42:28 -0800 (PST)

:Now that gcc3 is coming into the tree, what is the plan for handling contrib
:software?  We could patch anything that breaks, but would it make sense to
:one time update anything that breaks to the newest version until the packaging
:system takes over?  One notable package I remember breaking is AMD.  Would
:patches be accepted to update contrib software to help bring buildworld closer
:to working with gcc3?
:
:-Craig
:--
:------------------------------------------------------------------------
:Craig Dooley                                            craig@xxxxxxxxxx

    We are going to have both gcc2 and gcc3 in the tree, so there is no rush
    to change the compiler.  I expect we will begin by moving the kernel
    and base system compiles to gcc3 by default, and make mainstream use
    selectable.  There is already infrastructure to be able to set a GCCVER
    environment to specify which compile release you want to use.  This
    infrastructure can also be used to integrate icc, tendra, and
    other compilers.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>