Re: Installer: again

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:03:01 +0100

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 11:23:54AM -0500, Dan Melomedman wrote:
> Robert Garrett wrote:
> > It must have a console interface
> > It must run under X
>
> What? X? That's just too much of a requirement. X is associated with
> pain in my mind.
>
> As long as it's stable, and doesn't come with unpredictable
> behavior and crappy design. I am sick of the crappy FreeBSD
> installer segfaults which make me restart the process several times
> before I get what I want from it without a segfault.
>
> Take a look at the OpenBSD installer. Simple and it works, never
> a segfault, or a dialog loop. Take a look at the Debian installer for
> some design ideas.

The requirement to support X is very reasonable if you consider that our
new "installer" will be part of a greater system management tool.

The OpenBSD installer works very well, but is neither extensible nor
does it support other frontends. It exactly one job and that reasonable
well -- initial system installation.

Joerg