RE: Panic with latest sources.

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:52:18 -0800 (PST)

:Well...as it turns out one of the following entries in make.conf is the
:culprit. Uncommenting these three will consistently yield a broken kernel (as
:per my previous descriptions). Whereas previously (pre 07.30/07.45 10th
:february 2004), these optimisations built working kernels. I am not using
:GCC3. Are these not "safe" optimisations, particularly using gcc 2.95.4 ?
:#CFLAGS=-O -pipe
:#COPTFLAGS=-O -pipe
:#CXXFLAGS+=-fmemoize-lookups -fsave-memoized
:Robin P. Blanchard

    CPUTYPE has historically been a very dangerous setting to use.  I would
    not use it with GCC2 compiles.  People have successfully used it with
    GCC3 compiles.

    -O is just fine.  -pipe does not effect generated code and is fine.
    I don't know about -f*memoized* but from reading the manual page I
    would say that it is an unnecessary risk.