Re: Request for Feedback: proposed config(8) improvement

From: Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 23:34:58 -0600

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:40:29 -0800, Chris Pressey wrote:

> For anyone who's been curious about why I've been cleaning up
> config(8)'s source, here is a document that explains (rather poorly I'm
> afraid) what I want to do with it.
>
>   http://catseye.webhop.net/DragonFlyBSD/config/background.html

It does sound great! I have seen many people who are having that kind of
problem in bsdforums.org; it will be great if you can solve this problem.
:-)

> Basically: config(8) shouldn't let you configure a kernel that won't
> build.  It should detect that it won't build, tell you why, and stop
> immediately without wasting your time with a make session that is doomed
> to failure.
>
> I've done some research into how to make this happen.  It's actually
> surprisingly complex... but there may be ways to make it simpler, so I'm
> happy to receive comments.  Is it a laudable goal?

I think, it's worth if you think you can make it easier, less complex and
faster even with the solution then you are a winner. ;-) Perhaps, small
samples first to see if the developers like it then you can contiune do
the more work?

> Is my reasoning sound about how to get to that goal?  Will I be able to
> keep using Perl, or will it disappear from the base system, forcing me
> to use C?

Well, I personal will want to avoid more dependencies as possible to build
kernel + world. If you can do it without Perl, then it's even better and
great.

Cheers,
Mezz