Re: Unionfs etc Re: Packaging

From: James Frazer <jfrazer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:16:26 -0800

This reminds me about some FS ideas I was contemplating a year or so ago.

Sometimes I feel that traditional file systems impose to much structure on the user. I think one of the things that make current OS's too hard to use is that a lot of OS files are open to user-eyes when they shouldn't be. Both MacOSX and Windows try to 'hide' these files, but in reality we know they're still there (and it's very easy to get to them and muck around).

So what I'm getting at here is I think the file system 'view' should be more dynamic, and based upon who is using the OS (maybe depending on different user classes). Regular users obviously do not need access to OS files, and should never know they even exist. Sys Admins would have a different view, and the OS developer would have another view as well. Maybe this could be thought of as 'blackboxing' the system.

I'm sure these ideas could be implimented easily enough through metadata, extended attributes, or whatever you want to call them.

Some of the things BEOS did with metadata were nice.

--James