Re: XFree86 4.4?

From: Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:12:42 -0500

Bill Huey said on Mar 17, 2004 at 15:38:17:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 03:14:19PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> > :I know this might start a religious war, but are there any intentions of
> > :importing XFree86 4.4?  Or what are the plans for the whole XFree86 fiasco?
> > :
> > :--James
> >
> >     Well, at the moment we are relying on FreeBSD to generate the base
> >     port for any updates so we here at DragonFly will happily sit back
> >     and relax in the stands with our popcorn and softdrinks and let the
> >     graphics people duke it out in the ring.
>
> Not to get too political, it's important to support a progressive group that's
> really trying to push badly needed design level changes in such an important
> project. I'm specifically referring to Keith Packards work with the overall
> architecture in X, xcl/xcb, etc... which is close to Apple's OS X rendering
> system conceptually.

I guess if someone ports it, people would start playing with it...
I think Eric Anholt is keeping an eye on the project from FreeBSD's
side.

It's certainly worth keeping an eye on.  I'll try compiling it if I
get some free time.  Keith Packard is a guy who made pioneering
contributions (render extension, xrandr, etc) that did a lot to
"modernise" the X window system, but his ideas tended to clash with
the "core team"'s view of things; he was eventually forced out and his
commit bit removed, and he took that opportunity to start his own
project which would take the X server in new and unexplored
directions.  The parallels are striking...

Rahul