Re: nvidia machdep.c patch still useful ?

From: David Cuthbert <dacut@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 01:27:17 -0400

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    But 5.x's signal handler is resetting %fs, and I think we probably need
    to leave that part of it in.

Hrm. What is the FS segment standardly used for, if anything?

I'm familiar with Win32's use of it as a per-thread data area. For example, "mov eax, fs:[0]" is a common instruction emitted by Win32 compilers when setting up exception handlers. This caused some problems with WINE when some (versions of) OSes would trash FS.