Re: devfs vs udev/hotplug

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 10:36:24 -0700 (PDT)

    I wasn't even thinking of a userland file server.  I was simply thinking
    of a userland demon which creates and destroys CHR special files based
    on instructions from the kernel.

    Devices are not created and destroyed all that often, so performance
    isn't really an issue.

					Matthew Dillon

:> Doesn't this sort of design imply that the kernel is instructing a daemon
:> to make kernel calls to service the requests?  Isn't that a lot of
:> address space crossing or do I not understand how a userland file "server"
:> would work?  I realize that this will be done with fast messages but such
:> designs leave me with "speed" doubts.  This might be a bad example for when
:> that speed matters though.
:> Dave
:	I don't think speed will be much of an issue, once Async
:	messaging and a Shared Memory Segment between userland and
:	kernel is implemented.  One can utilize that.
:	Regards,
:		-Hiten