Re: When DragonFly hits release..

From: David Rhodus <drhodus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 22:06:00 +0000

Erik P. Skaalerud wrote:
If we ever are going to have a branch similar to FreeBSD's "-STABLE", can we pleasepleaseplease not name it -STABLE?

Over the years I've still wondered why its named -STABLE, when its not the most stable branch at all.
I like debians way of expressing this, with "unstable".

New users get fooled into running -STABLE just because it says -STABLE. They dont know what they are going into, and lets face it, no, they dont use the handbook or the docs, they just simply do what their friends tell them to do.

Maybe this subject is a little far ahead in the future, but I really beg you core people to not name it STABLE.

Erik

DragonFly does not and will not follow the same MFC method that lead to this. The releases from DragonFly should be able to follow a standard dictation of a revision release number. There is no reason for anything else as the point of being a stable operating system should be more than innate.

-DR