Why splash screens don't work...

From: Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 18:41:12 +0200

Dear DFly community,

splash screens don't work (at least on my machine, no matter what I try). This has been reported in d.bugs before by Jörg Anslik. After two weeks or so of investigation I think I can tell why. Please correct any bugs in my argumentation.

The problem with the current setup is that the loader does not seem to call the event handler function of splash_{bmp,pcx}.ko with the MOD_LOAD argument (see the thread 'loader question' from yesterday; also see splashreg.h for the handler definition). This results in splash_register() never being called and the global integer 'decoders' (both from splash.c) staying 0. The first call to the syscons function scinit() (done via cninit() from init386() right at the beginning of the kernel) should normally pop up the splash screen but it can't since no decoders are registered. It nevertheless sets the SC_INIT_DONE flag resulting in subsequent calls to scinit() no longer executing the splash screen part.

I'm a bit unsure about the loader part (even more so as Matt stated that the loader _does_ call the event handler function) but this is the only explanation that matches all my observations. Perhaps I've overlooked something. Please comment.

Regards,
Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx