Re: apt-get

From: dragonfly <dragonfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 14:47:04 -0700

Just to add a little something to this discussion, I did try to port gentoo's portage to dragonfly last December. I wasn't successful due to time constraints, and then school started up again. It is possible, and the portage people are always happy when their system gets ported to another OS. As far as stability issues, I've been running the same Gentoo install for nearly a year now with no problems. In it's infancy, yes - it was fairly unstable...but it seems to be really mature now. It's another option to think about. The only problem I foresee is separating the base system and base user land from portage itself, but it is do-able.

I was, however, looking forward to a whole new native ports system. Makes me wish I had some free time to donate to the project. Freakin' school!

-Eli