Re: apt-get

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 16:01:19 -0700 (PDT)

    Well, I must say this is an eye-opener!   The only exposure to apt-get
    that I have had has been with personal workstations, and it seems to
    work great for keeping things reasonably up to date.  But, obviously,
    there are some serious issues when it comes to using it on large
    clusters of machines.

    So, maybe we should roll our own after all.

    This does solidify my opinion that we need VFS environments to provide
    truely isolated setups for various subsystems (e.g. apache vs login user
    vs root vs mail vs whatever), and then run the port/packaging system
    within each environment.  The one thing I have *always* dreaded when
    doing large installs is that I would have half a dozen subsystems all
    working properly and then I would try to install something for some
    other subsystem and blow up one of the existing subsystems.  UNIX has
    this wonderful concept of a 'user' which seriously under-used when it
    comes to services.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>