Re: DragonFly faster than linux or FreeBSD?

From: esmith <esmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 17:19:45 -0400

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
. ..
However, anything involving heavy disk-writing activity -- untarring a
large tarball, for example -- slows down DragonFly a lot.  (I think
this happened with FreeBSD 4 too, but my subjective impression is it's
worse with DragonFly, even though I ran FreeBSD 4 on an older and much
. ..

Disk operations (specifically writes?) do seem to bring with them a degredation in performance and similar operations on other OSs seem to finish in less time. Tarring does seem to reveal this gap effectively. From the view point of over-all system performance, this seems to be DragonFly's weak spot.

I'm guessing that this is not a problem with DragonFly, per se, as much as it is simply that the group has put most of its effort into other areas of the OS and hasn't had the resources to address the issue.