Re: DragonFly-1.0 RELEASED!

To: Simon 'corecode' Schubert <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:47:35 +0100

Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
On 12.07.2004, at 22:10, Matthew Dillon wrote:

:That's a great news !
:
:What is the OpenBSD packet filter and ALTQ status ? I saw on DragonFly www that
:someone is working on it. Is it ready to use in Release 1.0 ?
:
:Regards,
:
:F.Julien
There have been discussions about how best to consolidate the packet
filters. I think there is a general trend towards the OpenBSD filter
but it's still an open item. There's nothing new in 1.0 but I expect
the issue will be resolved in the next few months.

concerning pf:
I talked to Max Laier, but unfortuately he doesn't have any time at the moment to port his work to DragonFly. I looked at his changes to the original OpenBSD stuff and it doesn't see *that* big. mostly locking and zone allocation. although I don't have any experience with these things I will try to have a grip on it. I think we don't need as much locking as FreeBSD needs when we decide from the beginning to have a multithreaded packet filer (as tcp is doing already).

Even if we do bring in PF and stick with it, we will still need to make significant number of changes to make it properly work with our networking model.

			-Hiten
			hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx