Re: DragonFly-1.0 RELEASED!

From: Max Laier <max@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 02:17:11 +0200

On Monday 12 July 2004 22:25, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> On 12.07.2004, at 22:10, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> > :That's a great news !
> > :
> > :What is the OpenBSD packet filter and ALTQ status ? I saw on
> >
> > DragonFly www that
> >
> > :someone is working on it. Is it ready to use in Release 1.0 ?
> > :
> > :Regards,
> > :
> > :F.Julien
> >
> >     There have been discussions about how best to consolidate the
> > packet
> >     filters.  I think there is a general trend towards the OpenBSD
> > filter
> >     but it's still an open item.  There's nothing new in 1.0 but I
> > expect
> >     the issue will be resolved in the next few months.
>
> concerning pf:
> I talked to Max Laier, but unfortuately he doesn't have any time at the
> moment to port his work to DragonFly. I looked at his changes to the
> original OpenBSD stuff and it doesn't see *that* big. mostly locking

... it will be more work for DF/FreeBSD4 as there have been some modifications
to the mbuf API that must not be forgotten about. The big issue for FreeBSD4:
"pfil_hooks" are taken care of (done by myself, committed by asmodai w/o
credits), but there is still way to go.

> and zone allocation. although I don't have any experience with these
> things I will try to have a grip on it. I think we don't need as much
> locking as FreeBSD needs when we decide from the beginning to have a
> multithreaded packet filer (as tcp is doing already).

Looking forward to see a multithreaded firewall. It's not a trivial thing to
do, that's for sure!

--
/"\  Best regards,			| mlaier@xxxxxxxxxxx
\ /  Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661