ports fail due to missing library symlinks

From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 17:49:40 +0200

Hello,

some ports, including XFree86 and emacs, fail with:

   Error: shared library "X11.6" does not exist

or similar. I checked and there are indeed missing symlinks in /usr/X11R6/lib.
I Googled and found a suggestion that one run /etc/rc.d/ldconfig start. This
makes sense since I always thought ldconfig was responsible for creating the
symlinks, but this does not seem to be the case (as far as I can tell it only
updates the hints cache).

When removing an already installed XFree86-libraries pkg_delete complains
about the would-be symlinks being missing, which I take to mean that the
symlinks would normally be created by the ports installation mechanism - but
I don't know when/where or why it would fail.

This is on a freshly installed 1.0A.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>'