Re: cvsup, installer and booting

From: "George Georgalis" <george@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 00:14:12 -0400

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 04:51:36PM -0500, Adonijah wrote:
>George Georgalis wrote:
>>I had more serious problems on my second machine. The installer uses
>>UDMA33. Linux has problems setting the speed automatically (it uses
>>UDMA66), but I can speed it up manually (commands below). The bios
>>supports ATA 133 and there is a (1 channel) 80 pin ribbon. Can I fix
>>this from the DragonFly installer?
>
>DragonFly (and FreeBSD) are very picky about the cabling you use for
>your hard drives. I can't say that it's completely correct since I had
>the same experience you did while I had no problems with Linux or
>Windows detecting my cabling correctly. But, I can tell you that when I
>swapped the hard drive cable out for another one, suddenly DragonFly
>detected the cable correctly and used UDMA100 (in my case).

Using an 80 pin ribbon with 3 terminations (vs 2) enabled udma100 at
boot, a _big_ improvement from 33! I know the standards for detecting
ide cables and bios/drive speeds is fuzzy or not adhered to...

Since the controller, ribbon and disk are all rated at 133,
is there some way to set that mode at startup?

I don't see any mention of pio/udma in boot(8) or
http://www.forknibbler.com/handbook/configtuning-disk.html
So I suspect it is a kernel space setting. Are there boot
or kernel options I can use to enable the faster mode?

// George

--
George Georgalis, Architect and administrator, Linux services. IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/  cell:646-331-2027  mailto:george@xxxxxxxxx