Re: ideas 3

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 19:09:52 -0700 (PDT)

:On Thursday 12 August 2004 21:52, Erik P. Skaalerud wrote:
:> >>What about creating a few kernel config files for common systems ?
:> >>NetBSD does something like that with GENERIC, LAPTOP, SMALL,...
:> >
:> > I much prefer the OpenBSD approach. OpenBSD ships GENERIC only (although
:> > there are alternate config files present in the source distribution).
:>
:> I have to agree on this, OpenBSD is very nice when it comes to
:> supporting just about any hardware out-of-the-box.
:>
:> Matt, could you consider having a kernel like this on the ISO images? It
:> cant hurt any, except a few extra MB's in uncompressed state.
:Wait, OpenBSD does NOT support kernel modules !!!
:
:So DF can still keep a GENERIC kernel like FreeBSD, but it would be usefull to
:have some special config files already in the tree like NetBSD does.
:	Ed

     Generally speaking the only thing that is not loadable is SMP support.
     Everything else is either built into the kernel or available as a module
     on the CD.  You can pretty much do anything with the live CD that you
     can do on a normal system.

     While I am not against adding additional kernel configurations in
     /usr/src/sys/i386/conf, I don't see any pressing need to have them
     either.  Eventually we will fold in the SMP/APIC support just as
     FreeBSD-5 has and that will take care of the SMP-on-CD issue (but it
     isn't high priority).

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>